When marketing content online you should typically look at a few different performance metrics. One of the key metrics is engagement such as how long people are staying on your content and how many bounces, clicks, likes and shares you are getting in ratio to your views. These metrics are important for the modern marketer because they are increasingly important to Google as well. Content is no longer important or relevant just because it has a thousand backlinks, it is important because the viewers say it is.
"Irrespective of format all marketers now need to consider video even if it is only as a component to help promote or support the centrepiece of their campaign"
In terms of content formats, the usual suspects are articles, images, white papers, interfaces and infographics. However, irrespective of format, all marketers now need to consider video even if it is only as a component to help promote or support the centrepiece of their campaign.
Here are some of the statistics.
- Viewers spend 100% more time on pages with video. (MarketingSherpa)
- Mixing video with stills in your articles drives up to 33X more shares and links. (Moz)
- Just using the word "video" increases click through by 55%. (eMarketer)
- 59% of B2Bs prefer video to text. (Forbes)
- 64% of marketers expect video to dominate their strategies in the near future. (Forbes)
On-site SEO / SEM:
Google's search ranking system works in the following way.
- Traffic - Users are more likely to click on a video.
- Contextual Relevance - Video boosts keyword optimisation.
- Likes and Shares - Video multiplies your likes, links and shares.
- Quality of Site - Video improves your website and page rank.
- 62% of Google Universal search results include video. (Marketingland)
- 80% of these are YouTube. (Searchmetrics)
- Video search results have a 41% higher click through rate that plain text. (Aimclear)
Ultimately if you want people to click, like, share and spend longer on your content (which is pretty much the whole point of content marketing) you should consider video. If you are looking for search as a key feature in your content strategy or you are looking for maximum engagement from your seeding, then video wins hands down every time.
To support these facts and more blueprint.tv have created a guide to demonstrate the power of video content marketing.
The guide includes:
- Engagement stats
- The VCM strategy planner
- Content types
- SEM / SEO / search & seeding
- Methods & tactics enhanced by video
The guide can be downloaded here.
We would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.